State of Utah

*** NOTICE ***
This page includes a brief summary of provincial/state laws regulating ATV / Off-highway vehicle use current to April 2012. It is not intended as an absolute reference as laws are subject to change without notice and many potential prohibited acts may be covered by other legislation or statutes. It is recommended that you consult with the latest version of state statutes or provincial legislation.
General prohibited acts that may not be covered by specific OHV legislation include trespassing on private property, unlawful use of OHV on public highways, reckless use of off-highway vehicles, operation of off-highway vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, damage to public or private property or damage to natural habitats or protected areas which are all unlawful in every province and state.

ATV's and other off-highway vehicles are regulated in Utah under Title 41, Chapter 22 - Off-Highway Vehicles Statute of Utah. These statutes cover use of off-highway vehicles on public and private lands.

For more information on Utah ATV/OHV regulations, please download a copy of the Utah OHV Act.

Summary of legislation regulating ATV use

Titling required
All residents of Utah must title off-highway vehicles manufactured after 1987.

Registration required
All Utah residents are required to register their off-highway vehicles for operation on public lands. A valid registration decal is required to be displayed on the vehicle.

Non-residents are required to purchase a non-resident OHV permit for operation on public lands unless they possess valid OHV registration decals for their vehicle in a state which Utah recognizes.
Currently, all states except Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming are recognized. All residents of these states MUST purchase a Utah non-resident OHV permit to operate off-highway vehicles on public lands in Utah.

Minimum age
A minimum age of 8 is required to operate a off-highway vehicle on public lands. Operators under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied or directly supervised by a person over the age of 18 who is in possession of a valid drivers license. The underage operator must be in possession of a Utah off road safety certificate.

Drivers license or certificate required
To operate a off-highway vehicle on public lands, the operator must have a valid drivers license or must pass a Utah Off-road Safety Course and retain the certificate on their person while operating the vehicle. The course is available online.

Use on public roadways and highways prohibited
Off-road vehicle use on streets or highways is prohibited, unless crossing these roads or the road has been designated as an Off-Highway Vehicle riding area.

Working headlights and taillights required
Working headlights and taillights are required when operating a off-highway vehicle between sunset and sunrise.

Helmets required
All operators and riders riding on public lands are required to wear DOT approved helmets at all times.

Operation on private property without permission prohibited
It is unlawful to operate a off-highway vehicle on private property without the prior permission of the landowner. It is unlawful to operate a off-highway vehicle on public lands that restrict use to such a vehicle.

Other prohibited uses
No person may operate an off-highway vehicle in connection with acts of vandalism, harassment of wildlife or domestic animals, burglaries or other crimes, or damage to the environment which includes excessive pollution of air, water, or land, abuse of the watershed, impairment of plant or animal life, or excessive mechanical noise.

Please visit our U.S. land use forums for discussions regarding land use and legal issues.

OHV Registration / Permit
State law requires all residents of Utah to register their off-highway vehicles and to display valid registration decals on the vehicle at all times while operating on public lands. Registration is available from the Utah division of Motor Vehicles.

Non-residents are required to purchase a Non-resident OHV Permit unless they have valid out-of-state registration and a valid registration decal on the vehicle and reside in a state which Utah recognizes out-of-state decals.
For More Information
This page represents a general summary of applicable state laws which apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle. Laws are subject to change and laws other than specific off-highway vehicle related laws may be in place which may directly or indirectly apply to the operation of a off-highway vehicle in certain circumstances. Please consult with your state statutes if you have any questions
For more information on Utah ATV/OHV regulations, please download a copy of the Utah OHV Act.