Northwest Territories
*** NOTICE ***
This page includes a brief summary of provincial/state laws regulating ATV / Off-highway vehicle use current to April 2012. It is not intended as an absolute reference as laws are subject to change without notice and many potential prohibited acts may be covered by other legislation or statutes. It is recommended that you consult with the latest version of state statutes or provincial legislation.
General prohibited acts that may not be covered by specific OHV legislation include trespassing on private property, unlawful use of OHV on public highways, reckless use of off-highway vehicles, operation of off-highway vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, damage to public or private property or damage to natural habitats or protected areas which are all unlawful in every province and state.
The use of off highway vehicles within the Northwest Territories is regulated by the Northwest Territories All Terrain Vehicles Act.

For more information on Northwest Territories ATV/OHV regulations, please download a copy of the Northwest Territories ATV Act

Summary of legislation regulating ATV use
Minimum age
No operator under the age of 14 may operate a off highway vehicle on a public roadway where ATV use is permitted.

Required insurance
All operators are required to hold valid insurance. Operation on any permitted public roadways requires both 1st party and 3rd party liability insurance. Operation on public lands requires 3rd party liability insurance.

Operation on public roadways
Operation of an ATV/OHV is not permitted on or along any territorial public roadways, other than municipalities that specifically allow operation of such a vehicle within city limits or where specific exemptions are in place. Eligible operators may cross public roadways if done so safely and following all the requirements of the Nunavut All Terrain Vehicle Act.

Helmet required
All operators riding on, along or across public roadways must wear DOT approved helmets, have a properly registered ATV and hold appropriate insurance.

Please visit our Canadian land use forums for discussions regarding land use and legal issues.

OHV Registration / Permit
Northwest Territories does not currently require registration of off-highway vehicles. Non-residents are recommended to possess valid registration and decals from their home province or state.

For more information on northwest Territories ATV/OHV regulations, please download a copy of the Northwest Territories ATV Act