State of Hawaii
*** NOTICE ***
This page includes a brief summary of provincial/state laws regulating ATV / Off-highway vehicle use current to April 2012. It is not intended as an absolute reference as laws are subject to change without notice and many potential prohibited acts may be covered by other legislation or statutes. It is recommended that you consult with the latest version of state statutes or provincial legislation.
General prohibited acts that may not be covered by specific OHV legislation include trespassing on private property, unlawful use of OHV on public highways, reckless use of off-highway vehicles, operation of off-highway vehicles while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, damage to public or private property or damage to natural habitats or protected areas which are all unlawful in every province and state.
The state of Hawaii does not currently specifically regulate the use of off-highway vehicles, however many municipalities have local bylaws which may govern use of off-highway vehicles within municipal limits. On O'ahu for example, operation of an ATV is permitted only on approved private land, or at the Kahuku Motocross Park. Otherwise, ATVs are prohibited from entering any public land or road.

In general, off-highway vehicle use is prohibited on public roadways, highways, and most public beaches unless specifically exempted.

Please visit our U.S. land use forums for discussions regarding land use and legal issues.

OHV Registration / Permit
Hawaii does not currently require registration of off-highway vehicles, however non-residents are recommended to possess valid out-of-state registration and decals on the vehicle.

For More Information
This page represents a general summary of applicable state laws which apply to the operation of an off-highway vehicle. Laws are subject to change and laws other than specific off-highway vehicle related laws may be in place which may directly or indirectly apply to the operation of a off-highway vehicle in certain circumstances. Please consult with your state statutes if you have any questions.